Need a Bike Buddy?
Are you an experienced cyclist who would like some help in determining the best route to your workplace? Need help in learning the ins and outs of bicycle commuting? Whatever your situation, a Bike Buddy can help get you bicycling to work, school or wherever you're heading.
The Bike Buddy program is simple, it matches you with a trained volunteer familiar with commute between your neighborhood and workplace (or other destination). Buddies are available to help in as many of the following areas as you need:
- Selecting a comfortable route
- Riding safely in traffic
- Fixing a flat tire
- Choosing gear for your commute
- Taking your bike on the bus (or Bike-n-Ride)
- Other tips and techniques
One of our volunteers will contact you to set up a mutually convenient time and place to meet. Most mentors are willing to come out to your home or meet over coffee (or tea) to review equipment and map out a route. They may be able to join you for a test ride or two to make sure you're comfortable with the selected route.
We are always looking for bike mentors to offer as many options for new commuters as possible. You can become a Bike Mentor if:
- You are an experienced rider who regularly deals with traffic, weather, and carrying things on your bike
- You are familiar with good bike routes in at least one sector of town
- You are willing to attend an orientation session before being matched with a commuter
- You can spend a morning or afternoon visiting with a Bike Buddy