Watch this informative video on where you should position yourself in the travel lane. Check out the Ohio Revised Code after the break.
Based on ORC 4511.55, Operating bicycles and motorcycles on roadway, here is law pertaining to lane positioning:
- Ride near to the right side of the roadway as "practicable"
- Ride no more that two abreast in a single lane
You are not required to ride at the edge of the roadway when:
1) It is unreasonable or unsafe to do so
2) To avoid fixed or moving objects, parked or moving vehicles, surface hazards, etc.
3) If the lane is too narrow for the bicycle and an overtaking vehicle to travel safely side by side.
So, if the lane is too narrow to "share", you should command the lane to signal for motorists to change lanes to pass safely.